Improve Your Photography: 50 Essential Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
A Free Offering From Digital Photography Daily and Author Kevin L. Moss
For subscribers to Digital Photography Daily, we’re offering a free eBook version of Improve Your Photography: 50 Essential Digital Photography Tips & Techniques by Kevin L. Moss. You can download the book by simply registering, you’ll receive our weekly newsletter, announcements and news as well. Fill in the short form on the right of the page, and you’re on your way!
About the Book
For those readers who enjoy the printed edition, it is available here from Kevin’s publisher.
Improve Your Photography is a collection of 50 essential digital photography tips & techniques from digital photography author and instructor, Kevin L. Moss. Known for his easy to understand style, Kevin proceeds to describe individual techniques that will help you become a better photographer. Some tips are obvious, while other techniques are in the category of “why didn’t I think of that?”.
You’ll start out reading about the virtues of using a 50mm f/1.8 lens on your digital SLR or learning the importance of knowing how to use everything on your digital camera, then Kevin will throw you for a loop. He’ll move on explaining how to create cool abstracts in Photoshop, and then on to explaining the details of a color managed workflow. There is something for everyone here!
There is a wide variety of topics that are covered, including some important descriptions of technical concepts, such as image ratios and color modes in Photoshop. Kevin also gives ten tips on improving photographic composition, and even a section on HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography.
The book is enjoyable and beneficial for both amateur and advanced photographers alike.
Topics in the book also includes how to manage your image library, extreme cropping, explaining 8 and 16 bit modes, using the gradient tool, understanding layers, Photoshop and Elements toolbox tools, file formats and sizing, proper ISO settings, infrared photography and simple lighting setups for the home studio. The 50 digital photography techniques are accompanied by beautiful color images and illustrations. Its easy reading, and its here for the photographer of any expertise to enjoy.
Here are some of the tips and techniques that make up this wonderful book:
- Manage Your Image Library
- Hold An Exhibit
- Cool Abstract Art with Extreme Cropping
- Making Power Lines Disappear
- Shoot in Color, Convert to Black and White Later
- Use a Color Management Workflow
- Explaining Color Modes in Photoshop
- Shoot the Sky
- Explaining 8 and 16 Bit Modes
- Use the Gradient Tool For a Colorful Sky
- Understanding Layers
- Shooting and Stitching Panoramas
- Essential Tools from the Toolbox
- Photographing Waterfalls and Fall Color
- Start Out with Pristine Images
- Understanding File Formats
- Image Size Explained
- Setting the Proper ISO
- Understanding White Balance
- Using the Histogram For Better Exposure
- Shooting in Aperture Priority Mode
- Explore Self Publishing
- Understanding Image Size and Aspect Ratio
- Shooting The Skyline
- Using Blur as an Element of Composition
- Explore the World of Infrared (IR)
- Great Pro Results With Simple Indoor Studio Lighting
- The Thin Black Line
- Abstract Studies With The Liquify Filter
- Follow the Rules of Composition – And Occasionally Break Them
- Discover High Dynamic Range (HDR) Images